Hotel Photos
Hotel Photos Hotel Photos Hotel Photos Hotel Photos
  • Hotel Summary

    Summary Page

  • Rooms & Prices

    Rooms From £110.00

    Book Online Now

  • Customer Reviews

    View Our Customer Reviews

  • Local Attractions

    Local Attractions near Us

Welcome to The Cottage in the Wood

Address: Magic Hill, Whinlatter Forest, Near Keswick, Keswick, CA12 5TW

Hotel Description

Situated within England's only mountain forest, The Cottage in the Wood is a restored 17th-century coaching inn offering breathtaking mountain views and an award-winning restaurant. The market town of Keswick and the Northern Lakes can be reached within a 10-minute drive. Free WiFi is provided in each room, along with an en-suite bathroom, flat-screen TV and tea/coffee making facilities. Seasonal and local ingredients are used to serve creative dishes in the on-site restaurant, which guests can enjoy whilst looking out over the Skiddaw mountain range and surrounding forest. A full Cumbrian breakfast is served each morning, along with continental options and a variety of teas and coffee. A wide variety of activities can be enjoyed in the surrounding area, such as as hiking, sailing and golf. Cruises can be taken along Keswick's lake, Derwentwater.

Our Facilities

  • Restaurant

Rooms & Online Bookings - The Cottage in the Wood

Hotel Reviews - The Cottage in the Wood

Be the first to Write a Review!

Attractions - The Cottage in the Wood

Isel Hall - Historical Houses

Isel Hall - Historical Houses

Distance 6.6 miles (10.57 km)
The Elizabethan Range and fortified Pele Tower of Isel Hall dominates the landscape in its magical setting above the River Derwent. From the formal gardens the ground drops down to the river and offers views of the 11th Century Church and Skiddaw. Continuously inhabited since Norman times it passed from its original occupiers, the Engane family, their heirs and successors by family connections to the present owner. In Elizabethan times they were the Leighs and from 1573-1986 the Lawson family inherited. The last male heir of that family, Sir Wilfred Lawson, died in 1936 when it passed to his nephew, Hilton, and then to Hilton's cousin Mrs Margaret Austen Leigh, who died in 1986 and left it to the present owner.