Duino in the coastal part of the Municipality of Duino-Aurisina, lying in the region of Friuli-Venezia Giulia in the province of Trieste in north-east Italy.The two castles are the main attraction: the older, dating back to the eleventh century, is in ruins, while the newer is inhabited to this day and can be visited by tourists. Below the ruins of the ancient castle, there lies a white rock projecting into the sea, the Dama Bianca, which resembles a veiled woman and gave origin to many gothic legends. The new castle of Duino is approximately dated to about the year 1400, when the family Wallsee commanded the construction of a strong fortress. Over time, the Wallsee family disappeared and the castle, after having been used as a prison, became the residence of the Luogar and Hofer. At the end of the 19th century it became the property of the Prince Alexander of Thurn and Taxis.