Grosuplje is the administrative and commercial centre of the municipality and the hub of its transport and communications. The town was first mentioned in 1136. The origins of the name of the settlement have not yet been researched, though numerous suggestions exist, some more serious than others. Grosuplje grew from a small village into a rapidly developing market town after the construction of the railway in 1893. It experienced its greatest growth after the Second World War when it began to industrialise. The number of inhabitants quintupled over a period of twenty years. Grosuplje has a pleasant location just fifteen kilometres from Ljubljana and has good prospects for further development.