Kilmarnock is twelve miles north of Ayr in east Ayrshire. The town's Burns monument - the largest in Scotland - was erected in 1879. It is indeed a very large structure, and is the highlight of a visit to important local amenity Kay Park. Kilmarnock's most impressive building is the Dick Institute, opened in 1901 and re-built in 1911 after a fire. It houses the local library and museum, and the exterior sports some excellent monkey puzzle trees. Dean Castle, dating back to 1360, has lovely wooded grounds.